Walters awarded Pontcynon River Bridge Remedial Works
Walters were appointed by Rhondda Cynon Taf as principal contractor to carry out essential repair work to the Pontcynon river bridge in Abercynon in late July 2019.
The Pontcynon River Bridge is a single span masonry arch structure carrying the B4275 over the River Cynon in Abercynon. The remedial works were implemented to prolong the serviceability of bridge for the future crossing of the Afon Cynon and important cross valley links between the A4059 and B4275 Abercynon Road.
The scheme is included within the Council’s Highways Capital Programme for 2019/20 with the contract procured under NEC4 Option B.
The project scope included:
- Remedial masonry works – rebuilding, repairs and repointing to the parapets pilasters and spandrels.
- Installation of proprietary steel reinforcement to stabilise cracked masonry at the abutments.
- Installation of tie rods and pattress plates through the spandrels.
- Construction of mass concrete foundations and building of gabion basket revetments over the river embankments adjacent to all the wingwalls within the river
- Extending existing surface water drainage pipe to outfall through a concrete headwall at the north east revetment foundation.
- All works constructed within river under NRW consent
We worked closely with our client throughout the scheme to ensure that the works kept disruption as minimal as possible and the project was completed ahead of programme October 2019.