We place compliance with health, safety, environmental and quality obligations at the heart of everything we do. We operate in several industries that each have their own legislation, regulations, standards and best practice. This diversity is a strength of our organisation and we are proud to have been one of the first civil engineering, plant and development companies in the UK to implement a formal management system in 2001 that was accredited to BSEN ISO 14001, BS EN ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001 (succeeded by ISO 45001:2018 in 2019). Our excellent health, safety, environmental and quality record has been sustained by the continued evolution of our management systems that are accredited to approved standards by BM TRADA, a world leader in certification.
Our philosophy is one of continual improvement as we seek to ensure a safe working environment. Perhaps our greatest strength to deliver this is the fact that we self-deliver most or work using our own operatives and our long serving and established management team. We take pride in our own well trained and committed workforce, who understand the Walters Way of working, and more importantly how to behave in what we believe is the right way.
Our behavioural based safety culture, in which every person takes responsibility for their own actions compliments our investment in safety. We encourage and invest in innovation, especially where safety can be improved such as the use of machine control or remote survey technology. We are industry leaders in innovative technology such as our work in reducing the people / plant interface and the bespoke staff competency database that we use to record, monitor and review the training, development and capability of our staff.
We hold membership of or accreditations with:
- ISO 9001:2015 (Quality Management)
- ISO 14001:2015 (Environmental Management)
- ISO 45001:2018 (Occupational Health & Safety Management)
- Achilles Building Confidence
- Achilles UVDB
- Achilles RISQS
- British Safety Council
- Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA)
- Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS)
- Considerate Contractor (project specific)
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA)
- Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) Bronze
- Minerals Products Qualification Council (Member)
- National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC)
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA)
- Safety Management Advisory Services (SMAS) Worksafe Consultant Membership (Designer)
- Upper Tier Broker Dealer of Controlled Waste
As a framework contractor for Natural Resources Wales (the environmental regulator for Wales) Walters operate the highest standards of environmental compliance and sustainable thinking.
Walters are a key contributor to and are committed to achieving the future expectations detailed within “Highways England Raising the Bar 3” standards for vehicles and plant and are continually trialling new systems and advancements in technology to improve our fleet. Much of our current fleet is less than 2 years old and we are continually purchasing new plant and trialling new safety systems in the pursuit of continuous improvement. An example of this is our green/red light system designed by one of our operators which indicates when it is safe/unsafe to approach an item of plant.
We are leading proponents of Ethical Employment and are proud to be affiliated with the ‘Transparency in Supply Chain Report’ initiatives to end Modern Slavery and supply chain labour abuses.