Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor (South Wales)
Role - Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor / Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our expanding operations in South Wales. Reporting to the Commercial Director and Regional Director, the successful candidate will join our commercial team managing a variety of civil engineering projects across a range of sectors including highways, infrastructure and earthworks schemes.
Walters are a market leading civil engineering contractor organisation employing over 500 people. We specialise in the self-delivery of high-quality civil engineering projects for a range of public and private clients. We are seeking a dynamic and driven individual who wants to join our business and be part of our success. The successful applicant should be highly motivated and practical with excellent communication and presentation skills and a strong track record of delivery within the civil engineering industry. Experience of ‘work winning’ – including bid writing and/or bid management – is desirable.
- Preparation of commercial cost and value reporting with detailed end forecasts produced with the Project Manager and/or Site Agent
- Preparation and timely submission of Applications for Payment with full supporting documentation in accordance with the contract
- Procurement of subcontractors and the preparation, administration and management of subcontract agreements
- Develop and maintain the project risk and opportunity register
- Oversee contract administration, including change management
- Production of accurate cost and value forecasts (CVR’s)
- Work closely with the estimating and work winning team to develop accurate and competitive tender submissions
- Oversee and/or produce accurate material take offs from project drawings and liaise with project team and group buyer
- Maintain a high level of communicate and liaison with the project team to manage risk and identify solutions to overcome early warnings and other operational matters
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with clients and other project stakeholders
Pre-requisite qualifications and capabilities
- A pride and passion in your work and the company’s resulting performance.
- Commitment and drive to enhance the performance of the business
- A strong track record of success as a Contractors Quantity Surveyor within the civil engineering industry
- An in-depth knowledge of the fundamental processes of commercial management within the civil engineering sector, i.e Cost v Value, reliable forecasting, risk and opportunity management, change management
- An excellent working knowledge of the main standard forms of construction contract/subcontract – particularly NEC3/4
- Excellent interpersonal, communicative, listening, and negotiation skills
- Excellent oral and written skills including presentations and ability to negotiate with Employers/Clients, external stakeholders, and supply chain partners
- Effective time management skills
- Engaging as a key member of the project team, sharing problems and combining to create solutions
- Resilience when working to fixed deadlines and managing risk.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience of project management software (i.e CEMAR), document software (Microsoft Sharepoint/Teams)
- Effective and timely procurement of subcontractors
- A Degree in Quantity Surveying or similar
- Be MRICS qualified, or demonstrate a commitment to work towards chartership
- Full driving license
Other Qualities and Experience:
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience in the use of MS Project to develop, read and interpret project programmes and critical paths
Preference will be given to candidates who fulfil the above and who also have experience of ‘work winning’ including bid writing and/or bid management.
- A competitive salary
- Company Car or car allowance
- Company contributing pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- 27 days annual leave
- Annual professional institution subscription
- Annual company performance bonus scheme
Predominantly site-based and working out of our head office in Hirwaun.
The role may require you to oversee multiple projects at any one time within the region.